Pavlova with Strawberries, Lime and Pistachios
In our farmhouse, my mother made pavlova weekly. It always sounded posher than meringue! This is a version of my mother’s recipe with a little modern twist.
5 Londis egg whites
300g caster sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp cornflour
½ tsp vanilla extract
250g strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
2 limes, thinly sliced
3 tbsp pistachios, roughly chopped
For the cream
50ml natural yoghurt
100ml lightly whipped cream
4 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 120C/Fan 100C/Gas 1. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Draw a 25cm oval shape on the parchment and turn it over on the baking tray.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, gradually adding the sugar, a few spoons at a time, whisking after each addition. Continue to whisk until thick and glossy. Fold in the white wine vinegar, corn flour and vanilla extract.
- Spoon the meringue into the oval shape and smooth over leaving a slight indentation in the centre.
- Bake for 1½ hours, turn the oven off and leave the pavlova to cool completely, preferably overnight.
- When ready to assemble, combine the yoghurt, mascarpone, cream and icing sugar in a bowl. Place the pavlova onto a pretty cake stand and spoon the cream over the top, arrange the strawberry halves and lime slices on top. Sprinkle over the pistachios and enjoy!