Creamy Chicken with Herb Potato Topping (Serves 4)
The creamy chicken part of this recipe can be prepared the day before so all you have to do is slice the potatoes (a mandolin is a great help for this!) and brush melted herby butter over the top and into the oven it goes for a deliciously easy midweek meal.
3 to 4 Glenmor Chicken fillets, diced
1 leek, finely sliced
3 Fresh Choice carrots, peeled and finely sliced
100ml chicken stock
For the sauce
4 tbsp flour
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp Dijon mustard (optional but it is delicious)
For the topping
6 to 7 large Fresh Choice Irish Rooster Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp mixed chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, rosemary and chives)
2 tbsp grated parmesan
Salt and pepper
- Heat a shallow casserole and add a little oil.
- Add the diced chicken in batches and brown on all sides. Set aside on a clean plate.
- Pour in a little more oil into the casserole and add the sliced leeks and carrots and leave to sauté until lightly softened but not brown, stirring from time to time.
- Return the chicken to the casserole, pour in the stock and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
To make the sauce
- Place the flour, butter, milk, paprika and mustard if you are using it in a saucepan over a medium heat and whisk until a thick sauce forms, season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and stir well and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Melt the butter and olive oil together and stir in the chopped herbs.
- Arrange the potato slices overlapping each other on the top of the creamy chicken and brush the top with the melted herb butter.
- 4. Sprinkle grated parmesan over and bake until the potato slices are cooked through, golden and crispy, this will take about 30 minutes.