Linda Kennedy’s Fish Pie
Featured on Episode 1 of Tastes Like Home with Catherine Fulvio on RTÉ One
1 kilo of fish (a mix of pollack, salmon & some smoked fish like haddock)
1 handful of oats
1 small onion
2 handfuls of mussels
2 bay leaf
25g of butter, and 25g of flour to make a Roux
1 or 2 tbsp double cream
2 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp dill
4 hard-boiled eggs
1.2 kg mash potato
salt and pepper
- Add the mussels into a bowl of cold water and sprinkle in a handful of oats and leave to soak for 3-4 hours or overnight ideally.
- Drain the mussels and rinse off any oats, make sure all the mussels are still tightly shut, throw away any open ones, place into a dry pan and cook until open, takes 3-4 minutes, remove the mussels from the shell and leave to one side.
- Cook the potatoes, then mash them and put to one side.
- Hard-boil the eggs by bringing a small pan of water the boil, add the eggs and keep it at a gentle boil, set the timer for 8 mins, cook, then drain and leave to cool in a bowl of cold water
- Cut the filleted fish into bite size bits and place them as a single layer into a large frying pan and cover with milk and season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer gently until the fish is cooked, takes about 4 minutes, once cooked remove fish and set to one side.
- Once cool flake the fish making sure to remove all skin and bones and put to one side.
- Finely chop the onion, add to a pan over a medium-low heat, stir/shake to prevent sticking or burning but don’t cover the pan, once the onions have gone soft and translucent, remove.
- Turn up the heat in the pan, add the mushrooms, season and sauté, once cooked put aside with the onions
- To make a roux melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 min over moderate heat, take off the heat, pour in a little of the cold poaching milk, then stir until blended, continue to add the milk gradually, mixing well until you have a smooth sauce.
- Bring the liquid to the boil, add the cream, onions, mushrooms, cooked mussels (minus the shell) and all the flaked fish.
- Peel and chop the eggs and add to mixture, stir gently and check seasoning, then add the herbs.
- Spoon all of the creamy fish mixture into a large oven dish and cover the top with the mashed potato and place the dish into the pre-heated oven Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F) for 30 minutes, then place under a hot grill for an extra 5 mins to brown the potato on the top
- Garnish with additional parsley.