Katie Maher’s Fricassee Chicken with Basmati Rice
Featured on Episode 4 of Tastes Like Home with Catherine Fulvio on RTÉ One
2 tins of tomatoes
350 ml chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1/4tsp dried chili flakes
2 carrots cut into batons
1 pkt sugar snap peas,
2 stalks celery
Juice of 1 lemon
3 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
pinch of salt
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
4 chicken breast
- Chop chicken breasts and rub with juice of lemon.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in plastic food bag, add chicken pieces.
- Make sure the pieces are coated fully, tie the bag and leave to marinade in fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Check the marinade is coating the chicken from time to time.
- Drain off the marinade but keep to one side.
- Begin to brown the chicken pieces in a wok, a few pieces at a time, set all the browned chicken aside.
- Chop the onions and add to the same pan and leave to soften
- Add the tins of tomatoes & cook down to a thick sauce.
- Add back the chicken together with chicken stock & the remaining marinade.
- Bring back to boil & then simmer until chicken is fully cooked.
- Add vegetables (small florets of broccoli, batons of carrots, sugar snap peas, peas, celery or whatever is in the fridge) into the sauce to cook.
- Serve with basmati rice